The Council on Foundations, the nation’s professional association of foundations, has outlined six characteristics of community foundations:
1. Flexible, yet permanent collection of funds supported by a wide range of donors
2. Relative independence to determine the best use of those funds to meet community needs
3. Governing board of volunteers, knowledgeable about their community and recognized for their involvement in civic affairs
4. Commitment to provide leadership on pervasive community problems
5. Commitment to assist donors to identify and attain their philanthropic goals
6. Adherence to a sense of “community” that overrides individual interests and concerns
There are many reasons to invest in your local community foundation. Community foundations go beyond simply making grants that advance charitable activities. They also identify current and emerging issues, channel resources to address their communities’ needs, and help their regions prepare for the future.
Today, there are more than 700 community foundations serving cities, towns and geographic areas all over the United States.
Since January of 2007, the NCF has been serving the needs in our area. Our region is blessed with fundamental qualities that are easy to take for granted. From good schools and safe streets to nature’s abundance in green trees and fresh water, we enjoy a quality of life that many communities could merely dream of, yet we live it every day. Our Foundation treasures those qualities and works with others to maintain that which we love.
We thrive because our donors and annual supporters recognize the gifts they have been given and choose to have an impact with the gifts they give. Through their vision and generosity, we have granted over $3.4 million to nonprofit organizations serving our region and provided over $800,000 for smarter, sustainable planning to protect our sense of place. We are young, but we are strong. We take our role to elevate the conversation of philanthropy in our region seriously and we are succeeding. Through stakeholders like you, we will continue that success and amass an even greater army of good.
Many thanks to our founding Board of Directors for their support, leadership and dedication. Many thanks to you too, the partners who have joined us in our philanthropic journey. Your commitment is our inspiration.